Anxiety can be debilitating. It can feel like fear, except you don’t even know what you’re afraid of. Anxious feelings can make you feel like you’re walking on a tightrope when you’re not even walking across the room. Anxiety can take over your life. You can find a lot of “miracle cures” that promise natural anxiety relief, but will do nothing more than drain your wallet while delivering disappointment.
Trying to sort through all of the information about natural relief for anxiety is overwhelming. But as Mark Twain humorously observed, “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.” There is no one “cure” for anxiety, but there are viable options for natural relief.
Relax and Get off the Tightrope
* Yoga–Yoga has long had a reputation for providing stress relief, so it stands to reason that it would be used for anxiety relief. Harvard Medical School published an article of the effects of yoga on anxiety and depression in its mental health newsletter.
* Meditation–Meditation is a useful relaxation technique for people dealing with anxiety. Meditation encourages awareness of your thoughts and may make you better equipped to deal with stress.
* Breathing exercises–Breathing exercises can help calm your mind. They are incorporated into yoga and meditation, but can also be used alone for anxiety relief.
* Massage–When it comes to natural anxiety treatments, massage has to be one of the more enjoyable options. Massage for anxiety works by rubbing pressure points to help relax your body and mind.
Supplement Your Anxiety Relief
* GABA–GABA is an amino acid that is often taken as a relief for anxiety. GABA assists the body in making endorphins, which increases feelings of happiness. It is also believed to reduce the levels of adrenalin, which cause feelings of anxiety. * B-Vitamins–B-Vitamins have the reputation for being crucial in any toolbox for anxiety treatment. There are quite a few B-vitamins and they tend to work synergistically. B-complex supplements are readily available. LiveStrong offers information on why Vitamin B-12 is particularly helpful in the treatment of anxiety.
I Think, Therefore I Can
Don’t underestimate the usefulness of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in providing natural anxiety relief. It works by helping you change your thinking patterns and negative thoughts.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy also helps you learn to use your new, more productive, thinking patterns in situations that have previously caused you to have feelings of anxiety.
Calming strategies are also utilized in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.